Explore more publications!

African Union, ECOWAS Voice Concern Over Guinea-Bissau Military Coup

(MENAFN) Leadership of joint African Union, Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) election observation missions, and the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) voiced "deep concern" Wednesday following a military coup in Guinea-Bissau that interrupted the democratic process as vote tallies remained pending.

Armed forces deposed President Umaro Sissoco Embalo earlier Wednesday while the West African nation awaited official results from presidential and legislative elections conducted Sunday.

"We express deep concern with the announcement of a coup d'etat by the armed forces while the nation was waiting for the announcement of the results. It is regrettable that this announcement came at the time when the missions had just concluded meeting with the two leading presidential candidates, who assured us of their willingness to accept the will of the people," the observer missions said in a joint statement.

Military officers calling themselves the "High Military Command for the Restoration of National Security and Public Order" declared via state television broadcast that they "assumed full powers of the state."

The armed forces suspended all media operations, terminated the electoral counting process, sealed national borders, and instituted a nine-hour curfew beginning at 9 p.m. local time (2100GMT).

Observer mission leaders called upon the African Union and ECOWAS to implement urgent measures to reinstate constitutional governance.

"We deplore the blatant attempt to disrupt the democratic process and the gains that have been achieved that far," the statement said.

The missions additionally expressed alarm over detentions of government officials, particularly those overseeing electoral administration.

"In this regard, we urge the armed forces to immediately release the detained officials to allow the country's electoral process to proceed to its conclusion," the observers added.

International monitors had previously praised Guinea-Bissau citizens for robust democratic participation, highlighting that polling day proceeded in an orderly and peaceful manner.

The military intervention occurred as independent candidate Fernando Dias and incumbent President Embalo's respective campaigns both declared victory Monday in the presidential contest while official tallies remained unreleased.

Twelve candidates competed in the presidential race.

The electoral commission had been scheduled to announce final election results by Thursday.

MENAFN27112025000045017169ID1110404092


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Legal Disclaimer:

EIN Presswire provides this news content "as is" without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the author above.

Share us

on your social networks:
AGPs

Get the latest news on this topic.

SIGN UP FOR FREE TODAY

No Thanks

By signing to this email alert, you
agree to our Terms & Conditions